Thursday 14 April 2016

Dark Horse

On Grand National weekend I watched the film 'Dark Horse' about the famous racehorse Dream Alliance. I thought I knew the bones of the story and sat down for a feelgood experience. Now I'm not going to give it all away for those of you who haven't seen it, because I recommend you look out for repeats, or a way to get a hold of it.

Maybe I should be ashamed of myself being moved to tears at my age, but I found it the most moving thing I've seen on television in a long while. Jan, the lady whose idea it all was that a Welsh mining town in decline should breed a racehorse was utterly amazing, but she wasn't the only one, led by a cleaner from ASDA with a second job as a barmaid in a working mans club to make ends meet, a syndicate of ordinary people achieved the extraordinary and demonstrated humour, humanity and kindness along the way.

That the horse stole the show goes without saying, but my goodness a tour de force and what a great crowd of regular, decent people behind it all.

Malcolm Snook

No comments:

Post a Comment