Friday 7 October 2016

Sheffield Boy In Puglia

My TV Review blog is a bit of an indulgence really; I don't watch tv avidly, don't do soaps or the real housewives of anywhere, Kim Kardashian is a mystery to me other than what I see in the news. It was a genuine surprise then to watch two programmes in a single evening which I felt worthy of comment.

The first was an old Grand Designs, on Channel 4, about a couple of British artists who built a Roman style villa in Puglia complete with home made mosaics. A place large enough to run art courses and they must have done over ninety percent of it themselves with almost bare hands and nary a tradesman in sight, not to mention a minuscule budget once the land was paid for.

I've always liked the programme, the insights and gentlemanly not to say kindly manner of the presenter Kevin McCloud. On many occasions I've been thoroughly impressed by the industry and vision of the contributors. These two took the biscuit though. They had some help from friends and family, but their industry was mind boggling. I have a home in the neighbouring region and I know how hot it can get down there in summer. These two were my generation and the work they did was superhuman, no other word for it. And skilled, building Roman arches around a wooden former with no previous experience for example.

Tomorrow, or maybe later, the other one!

Malcolm Snook blogger and traveller


No comments:

Post a Comment